Friday 17 June 2011

What is Negotiation?



Deri and me were given a joint negotiation task to take part in but there was an interesting catch, we were both given objectives to achieve during the task but we weren’t allowed to inform each other as to what our individual objective for the task was. So as you know the task was about negotiation hence the title of the task “Negotiation”. Deri and I sat down in a room each having a fruit to ourselves not knowing each others objectives we proceeded in accomplishing are own. My Objective was to be holding both fruits by the end of the task. The task began with Deri asking me for my fruit, which I willingly handed over to Deri who seemed quite baffle Deri. From the moment Deri asked me for my fruit my strategy to which I thought would lead me to my objective was to gain Deri’s trust by willingly handing him my fruit and therefore gaining his trust he would do the same for me when I asked him for his fruit. Unfortunately my plan didn’t work out the way I had hoped, after some effort and negotiation Deri remained reluctant to hand over his fruit so I was unsuccessful in reaching my objective.

Conclusion: I can clearly see how crucial strategy is at playing part in gaining something the opposite side doesn’t necessarily want you to have, good intentions doesn’t always win it comes down to a position of power which can be obtained through the utilisation of strategic movements. It also points out something about society that is quite sad that we often are wary and suspicious of people who offer a helping hand, we tend to assume that they have underlying intentions which is sometimes true but that’s what’s wrong with society. It’s like an I O.U system where if a person helps another person out the receiving person owes them something.





When two or more people with opposing interests or circumstances come to a mutual decision that benefit all parties and resolve any current or potential issues. We use negotiation in our social lives and business purposes. People often negotiate by taking up a negotiating position. They then try to persuade the other person to agree with them or move towards their position. This often encourages power struggles and does not resolve the conflict.
On the other hand, ‘mediators’ can offer alternatives to positional negotiation.
When we look below the conflict surface, we discover the interest, which people's position represent and the needs which motivate their interests.





No comments:

Post a Comment